Polymer Sanding & Finishing
This is a robotic control system that enables the operator to remove a significant amount of labor from the sanding and finishing process. When initially made, the polymer is rough and uneven out of the mold. This system sands and polishes it to get the right dimension in a much quicker and more efficient manner than doing it by hand.
- 2 robotic arm workcell with custom end effectors sand and polish large optically clear polymer pieces
- 2 additional degrees of freedom provided by sled/rail mount and pinion assemblies
- System automates polishing process and end effector swapping process
- Robot motion determined by software using dimensioned models of the polymer pieces
- Cameras provide machine vision to support robot positioning and collision detection